Korean Chicken Egg Roll Bowls
A gluten free umami bomb without the grease.
If there's one thing I miss that's gluten filled, it's a crispy, greasy egg roll from my local dive Chinese food restaurant. You know the kind - when you cut into it it oozes grease and umami and straight-up deliciousness.
Unfortunately, this ain't it.
BUT this bowl is the best of two worlds - Korean Bulgogi Chicken and an egg roll - and it's not horribly bad for you or oozing grease either. This sauce uses all the more traditional Korean flavors, added to a lean ground chicken with crunchy cabbage and spicy serrano peppers.
It's umami, it's salty, it's a little sweet, it's got acid and it has heat. It's the perfect date night dish or meal prep for the week.
Stick with me, it's a long ingredient list, but it's mostly for the sauce and it's worth it for sure.
1 package (about a lb) of ground chicken (turkey works too)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp gluten free gochujang paste
1 Tbsp Sriracha
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2/3 cup gluten free soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
1 lime, juiced
3-4 Tbsp avocado oil
2 Tsp grated ginger (I use frozen)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, finely diced
1 Tsp white pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable stock
1 serrano pepper, finely diced
Coleslaw mix (no mayo, about 3 cups)
Shredded carrots (about a cup)
Brown Rice (optional, I used trader joe's organic / microwavable)
1. Combine brown sugar, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha, garlic powder, lime, and soy sauce - whisk until smooth.
2. Finely dice your garlic and shallot.
3. Add your avocado oil, garlic, shallots and ginger to a cold pan.
4. On medium - high heat, sauté until translucent. Add white pepper.
5. Add ground chicken to the pan. Break up the meat into small pieces. Cover with a lid and let cook.
6. Now's a great time to put your rice in the microwave, but totally optional.
7. Uncover your meat, let the liquid cook out until 3/4 of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through.
8. Add vegetable stock, let it cookout.
9. Add in your sauce and let is cook down into a thick sauce. Coat all the chicken in the sauce.
10. In your bowl plat your rice (optional), 1/2 cup of coleslaw mix, extra carrots and serrano.
11. Add in your meat and toss until combined like an egg roll.
12. Top with scallions and serve. Enjoy!!
Makes approx. 4 servings.
Ready to get cooking? Check out my one minute tutorial on Instagram Reels: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZrvOXGFBRw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet